Who is doing promising work on age related neurodegenerative disorders?

Same as above.

I know anecdotally there is healing power in the herbs and spices. But what about the countries where these spices do not grow or those that do not know how to cook with these spices.

Is there any hope for them?

I think there is certainly hope for those in cultures that don’t incorporate these herbs and spices in their diet, it comes down to integrating supplements into our healthcare system through companies that are properly vetted who have products backed by rigorous scientific data (preclinical and clinical).

The work by Dr Dale Bredesen and Dr Richard Isaacson holds the most promise in my mind. AD can be stratified into different types of pathologies (just like diabetes) based on risk factors and biomarkers of disease etiology.
Some real strides can be made with personalized, preventative approaches.

List of lifestyle changes that can make a big impact for prevention and, with technological augmentation, disease reversal. Can google the following interventions

-Sleep (Matthew Walker)
-environmental toxin avoidance and removal (Sauna, Charles Raison, Jari Laukanan)
-Diet (Valter Longo, Eric Verdin and others)
-Exercise (Giselle Petzinger)
-Stress Reduction (Pierre Capel)
-Supplementation (Hussein Yassein and others: probiotics/microbiome restoration, quercetin and fisetin- senolytics, turmeric, omega-3s, etc)

As far as a unified theory of neurodegeneration, there’s some good evidence suggesting AD is fundamentally a problem of impaired neuronal energy utilization (In Alzheimer Research, Glucose Metabolism Moves to Center Stage - PubMed ). With this framework in mind, companies can start moving away from the primacy of the Amyloid Beta Hypothesis and design better pipelines and clinical trials to address neurodegenerative disease.

ReCODE protocol and Cognoscopy

Richard Isaacson preventative protocol https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6925647/

Would be happy to talk about any number of these topics if you’re looking for further information: harinatg@gmail.com

2 Likes

This is a nice list. When it comes to exercise, I’ve always thought the benefits come from circulatory improvements, fat reduction and glucose control. Now I am giving more importance to the role of clearing out waste products, and possibly a role in autophagy. Sleep also assists in autophagy.

1 Like

Yes; reduced adiposity, improved cardiovascular health and glucose disposal are def crucial aspects. But you highlight a great point that we tend to focus on the types of benefits that are systemic and more easily measurable. It makes sense though, right?

The changes that really interest me are occurring at the cellular and molecular level. How does exercise influence gene expression of our different cell types? How does this influence turnover of damaged mitochondria, proteins, and membranes? And the maintenance of critical organelles like lysosomes and ER?

On a molecule level, how long do these changes persist? Are they context specific? How does exercise influence the regulation of gene expression, molecular pathways involved with maintenance and repair, and even how our individual cells partition and utilize fuels.

On a systemic level we tend to concentrate on finding plasma factors that may be traveling across the body and propagating these effects…but we know exercise increases overall metabolism…and especially metabolism of our muscles (represent a huge % of our body mass). How does this increased metabolism influence the disposal of “pro-aging” factors circulating in our blood? How do shifts in energetic demand, metabolism and signaling factors influence senescent cells as well as stem cells? Different types and intensity of exercise certainly influence these factors in different ways…and they operate based on personalized physiology (genetics, dietary patterns, and hormonal milieus present in our system). Highlighting the importance of exercise prescription and the value of studying and treating exercise the way we would treat a powerful longevity drug.
So many fascinating questions to dissect and make sense of…and we have the technologies to do so…all the way down to the single cell level. We live in some exciting times!

Zlokovic lab at USC(I think) has an interesting approach to dementia in that they focus on the vasculature hypothesis rather than the amyloid hypothesis. Seems like a good approach to switch to as amyloid has failed many clinical trials.

2 Likes

Li Huei Tsai (gamma frequency entrainment)
also QRI people (qualia research institute). don’t directly work on aging, but they have neurotech for potentially replicating jhanas who have more slow wave sleep.

1 Like