What are your favorite low(er) calorie, low calorie-per-volume-ratio, or appetite-suppressing foods? - #11 by AlexKChen - Rapamycin Longevity News has more
(I like convenience + low calorie density + ideally low plastic load)
6 oz of Amazon.com : Korean Traditional Fermented Soybean Powder 6 Ounce Nattokinase Source Cheonggukjang Powder Natto Powder Vitamin K2 Vegan Less Smell : Health & Household is 12 tablespoons
150 micrograms Natto is a Japanese dish made from fermented soybeans. It's high in many nutrients that promote good gut health and is the richest source of vitamin K2 available. One tablespoon of Natto contains **150 micrograms** of vitamin K2, about twice the recommended intake.
- Natto also increases longevity. Fermented foods are GOOD but god they take so long. Vitamin K2 is super-underrated, get it from natto or pasture-raised eggs (eg vita). Natto also has spermidine and genistein. Note: they are often packaged in polystyrene which is the worst plastic, so I only buy the amazon ones. There are expensive forms in glass jars…
- Good news: USDA scientists are recalculating calorie counts | The Counter
- shirataki noodles are PERFECT but they’re all wrapped in suspicious plastic (which is why I don’t use them, tragically). shirataki/konjac rice is easier to package in less “suspicious plastic” but is more expensive
You are what you eat: Old food shortens lifespan in animals | New Scientist
*on K2, read Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life. Re: Association of soy and fermented soy product intake with total and cause specific mortality: prospective cohort study | The BMJ . Needs to be fermented with Baccilus to work (the korean cheonggukjang probably is too)
- nutrient density per calorie - ANDI Food Scores: Rating the Nutrient Density of Foods | DrFuhrman.com
- Arrabbiata sauce - Wikipedia (esp spicy). This combines both tomatoes AND spicy ingredients for great synergy and comparatively low calorie density relative to many Indian spicy sauces
- Peppers - Hot Peppers and Reduced Mortality - General Health and Longevity - CR Society Forum
- Brown algae (kombu is one example) for fucoidan. See Vera Gorbunava
- Acai powder for cyanidins (and acai is high-MUFA!)
- Blueberry leaves have more anthocyanins than blueberries!
- Ginkgo leaves if you can get them! they produce lots of extra biodiversity
- HEALTH FOOD STORES (eg cambridge naturals) have a lot of fermented food
- watercress/chives/endives => highest nutrition density of any vegetable! The Most Nutrient Dense Foods per Calorie – Tailored to Your Goals and Preferences | Optimising Nutrition . also parsley. Cooking calcium-rich veggies helps destroy the oxalates that inhibit Ca (note Ca supplementation increases heart disease risk, esp in absence of K2)
- in terms of microplastics: apples > broccoli > lettuce (by a factor of 4). Bigger trees absorb more microplastics. Soil has 4x more microplastics than the oceans
- cook leafy vegetables to destroy anti-nutrients that inhibit calcium absorption (but Ca should be combined with Vitamin K2)
- EWG for pesticide contamination. Again, vegetables less contaminated than fruits. But kale/celery/peppers tend to have more residue than cruciferous vegetables
- nobun is the most keto bread (the keto breads sold at whole foods and thinslim foods are the best). There are reviews of “keto bread” by people who test glycemic response online. Avoid modified wheat starches
- oatmeal/oatmilk spike BG like crazy so avoid
- look up % sucrose in each fruit to see how much BG rise can be blunted by acarbose
- almonds have way fewer bioavailable calories than other nuts (eg cashews, psitachios => these have been tested)
- pulses => there is a study testing bioavailability of their calories coming out soon
- remember hunter-gatherers were healthier than farmers => try to seek out “wilder” food before it became mass-bred to become tasty and fattening
- corncob is WAY healthier than corn
- YAM LEAVES ARE SO AMAZING OMG
- be aware of where hyperaccumulator plants are grown. Apples accumulate microplastics.
- cacao > cocoa (eg https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-Organic-Cacao-Nibs/dp/B00MGW81YM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZHCNPMLJQBZ&keywords=cacao+chocolate&qid=1673965160&sprefix=cacao+chocolat%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-5 ) COSMOS Study Shows Cocoa Flavanols Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Death by 27% - #23 by AlexKChen - Rapamycin Longevity News . SEE THREAD FOR LEAD/CADMIUM CONTAMINATION https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/lead-and-cadmium-in-dark-chocolate-a8480295550/ . I think Montezuma’s uses wax rather than plastic to wrap the chocolates up - also it’s not sweetened/too tasty which makes it easier to spread out the chocolate consumption rather than eat it all at once. https://drive.google.com/file/d/18uic5Gs8uZSH77CsLiI7MdSshq9bM1Tn/view . Unsweetened cocoa solids can help reduce weight/calorie consumption later (they better be unsweetened though - even stevia-sweetened chocolate can increase appetite later)
- ethnobotany. John de la Parra.
- dealcoholized wine - https://www.rapamycin.news/t/dealcoholized-wine-for-resveratrol-all-the-other-wine-phytochemicals/5243
- on energy drinks - https://www.rapamycin.news/t/are-sugar-free-energy-drinks-pro-or-anti-longevity-monster-has-taurine-niacin-b12-and-are-an-appetite-suppressant-the-main-concern-is-sucralose/5289 . Avoid the artificial sweeteners - Rowdy is a form that has none of them, as is FocusAid Zero
- apigenin food sources for increasing NAD+ (NMN + CD38 increases lifespan in males! - #38 by Olafurpall - Rapamycin Longevity News ) celery seeds may be better than parsley
- people absorb 80% of their calories from almonds, and maybe 90-95% from other nuts.
- Betalains are good. beet greens have loads of many nutrients, as does watercress, as does swiss chard, as do mustard greens (way more than most veggies)
- heme iron is BAD. Even impossible burgers supplement with them (so choose other fake meats). Read Preston Estep’s Mindspan. If you’re not anemic, try to reduce iron consumption (in fact lower iron is probably 1/3 of the reason why vegan men live longer)
ON PESTICIDE residues… You can look up entries on What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Green Beans but much of the data there is outdated, as the EPA has banned the use of the more neurotoxic pesticides on foods since this was released (Food and Pesticides | US EPA ). Eg use of acephate, methyl parathion, and formetanate have all been highly restricted, as has Chlorpyrifos since 2021… Evidence Mixed on Risks of Pesticide Residue on Produce . Canning/processing helps reduce pesticide residues. As of 2022 I am WAY more concerned with microplastics than I am about pesticides.
https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-the-epas-lax-regulation-of-dangerous-pesticides-is-hurting-public-health-and-the-us-economy/ | Harmful Pesticide Phaseout Calls Come as Some Countries’ Use Rises | The USA lags behind other agricultural nations in banning harmful pesticides | Environmental Health | Full Text
Makedonia has keto cereal, France has ratatouille and loads of soft glassed vegetables [esp mushrooms and legumes pour couscous] that can easily be used as fast food [NOTE France having a longer lifespan than most countries], Finland has Bean-it. Most European countries have a wider diversity of fake meat than America. I hear Japan has lots of low-calorie seaweeds that help fill you up but I have yet to visit Japan.
lowest calorie density of any of the olives I’ve seen
but olives.com california olives has 165 calories per CAN of olives (which is SO LOW for such a food so high in MUFAs) and they tell me they are bpa-free