Low-hanging fruit - A request for startups

I keep hearing that there is lots of low hanging fruit for anti-aging startups. If you have some ideas (that you aren’t thinking of pursuing) please post and discuss here.

3 Likes

Young bone marrow transplant.

2 Likes

This has a lot of potential, especially because you’re rejuvenating a stem cell niche and it is a well vetted procedure which will help it move along in clinical trials.

A variation of this therapeutic strategy that holds particular promise is autologous (self) transfer where the patients aged bone marrow cells are removed, de-differentiated with iPSC, and re-differentiated to healthy bone marrow. I know we could cut steps with David Sinclair’s reprogramming method but I think that it still requires several years of optimization.

The iPSC should not be a major challenge, but I know there are still some struggles with guiding differentiation into bone marrow stem cells

2 Likes

Intestinal Alkaline Phospotase.

Actually Synthetic Biologics has IP for recombinant IAP so this is taken. Perhaps some analog would work too.

Combination therapies (rapamycin + metformin + young/neutral plasma exchange , etc)

2 Likes

Forskolin (supplement) and 2-Methyl-5-hydroxytryptamine (related 5-HTP is a supplement) are chemical substitutes for the Yamanaka factor Oct4 in mouse cells. VPA (clinically approved drug for bipolar) and Tranylcypromine (clinically approved antidepressant) are part of a cocktail that can substitute for the remaining Yamanaka factors in mouse cells (Sox2, Klf, C-Myc). The caveat is that (1) OSKM drives both rejuvenation and pluripotency, the latter presenting safety concerns (2) these are mouse cell results. Reference here https://bit.ly/3e5OaBB

3 Likes

The antibiotic Tazobactum was shown to be the most effective reprogramming/OSKM-mimic in a computationally guided screen of single drugs in human cells. Meanwhile, Tazobactum + motesanib was the most effective drug pair reported (as a reprogramming/OSKM mimic) and was more effective than Tazobactumn alone. The foodstuff Curcumin was also computationally predicted as a mimic, but this prediction was not tested in the dish (the authors chose to test higher ranked mimics). The caveat is that OSKM drives both rejuvenation and pluripotency, the latter presenting safety concerns. Reference here https://bit.ly/3e8ZA7P

2 Likes